How studying slowly turns you into a selfish bastard






Studying essentially means this= more time thinking about myself and working on making myself cleverer so I can do well in life and feel proud of myself and get a good job so I have lots of money that I will mostly spend on myself.

Yeah of course, there's nothing wrong with caring about yourself- after all, if you don't take care of yourself first, it's harder to care for others, right? You can't donate money to charity unless you're earning your own money.

BUT THE ENTIRE ACT OF STUDYING TAKES IT ALL TO A WHOLE NEW LEVEL OF SELFISHNESS.

I'm currently in my last year of an incredibly competitive school, which regularly features in the top ten best schools in the country (I'm unable to boast what exact position it holds because  then you'd find out what school I go to, hunt me down and stab me in my sleep or something). On school nights, I literally only see my family at dinner, then it's back to work. This is also due to the crazy amounts of extra-curriculars we're meant to do-it's not enough to be clever any more, you've got to be captain of a sports team, a grade 8 in violin, run a magazine, take part in three different choirs and run two lunchtime clubs.

After I return to school after holiday breaks, I am repeatedly struck by what a selfish person I have to be to do well at school.

Here are several examples of how studying can turn you into a dick.

1) You have to decline social events quite frequently, and possibly hurt your friends
Let's face it, you'll have to miss your friend's birthday party on the weekend- you have three exams to revise for next week.

Of course, when you see how much fun they all had throwing glitter on each other and lying in bath-tubs like Kesha through the photos of facebook, you'll end up crying mascara tears into your pillow. But still ace that test. And it will feel good. 


But, you'll slowly stop being as close to people as you were before. And you'll hate yourself for it.



Oh, and your cousin's who visited your country for the first time in 5 years? Yeah, you'll only be able to spend about an hour with them.


2) When others need help, you often have to say no
What do you mean can I help you with your homework? Or fix dinner for my brothers because you want an early night? This bloody coursework is in for tomorrow you imbeciles, are you all secretly plotting to make me fail????????!!!!!!



3) Family time? What family time?
Instead of jumping for joy, you end up throwing a fit when your parents ask if you want to spend the the half term break on a beach in some exotic location, because that half term break was positioned just before when your exams begin AND YOU NEED TO REVISE!!!!!!

(Only Gwen could look so glamorous crying.)


There really is no way to study without turning into a narcissistic bastard.
I mean, there will be those people who claim to never revise, go to parties every night, and still do well in tests. Even if we were to believe their stories (*cough* LYING BASTARDS)  even those people will reach some point at uni when they realise they have to shut off the world around them in order to do well.


This gif perfectly encapsulates how I feel about the entire situation. I will now proceed to copy and paste it a couple more times as a manner of releasing my pent up frustration.


*Shivers in delight* Aaahh....so much better. 


0 comments:

Post a Comment